Transgender, Intersex, GenderQueer & Non-Binary
Diversity and Awareness Training & Education
Research • Lecturing • Advice • Writing • Projects
Definition of Trans/TIQ:
- "Trans" may be used as an abbreviation shortcut for the entire non-conforming to birth sex transgender spectrum of Transvestite/Crossdresser, Non-, Pre- & Post-Op Transsexual, and those who identify as Trans/Transgender, apart from, or in addition to binary Male and Female.
- TIQ stands for the Trans, Intersex and Queer/Questioning section of LGBTIQ
- LGB, no TIQ? There are some that would negate and remove the T,I and/or Q from the variant gender & sexual(ity) spectrum but LGBTI rights and activism history has shown that the smaller and/or less-established/confident minority sex and gender groups usually need the public understanding and legal inroads already made by the Gay and Lesbian rights.
- The entire alphabet soup could be expanded to at least the following:
LGBTI 2AAAAAAABCCCC DEFGGGGGGG HHHHHHHHHHHIK LMMMMNNN OOOPPPPPPQQ SSSSTTTTTTUUU (full definition upon enquiry)!
- Obviously the above is a mouthful but to avoid erasure of any identity it is worth using something like LGBTI+, LGBTI* LGBTIQ... - NOT "LGBTIQ etc", as nobody wants to be an "etc". These should be used with a footnote upon first mention, saying something like:
(1) LGBTI+ is an inclusive term representing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans(gender) and Intersex.
It also includes other groups relating to sexual orientation, gender identity including Asexual, Non-Binary, Queer and many more. No disrespect or erasure is intended in not using one of the longer LGBTIQ2SA type initialisms or terms appropriate to different languages and cultures. There is no international agreement on how to extend LGBT to be more inclusive of all Gender and Sexual Diversities.
- Our recommended minimum inclusive acronym and definition would be:
(2) LGBT* is an inclusive term representing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans(gender). It also includes other groups relating to sexual orientation, atypical birth sex or gender identity including Intersex, Asexual, Non-binary, 'Queer' and more." This footnote explanation should appear on all posters, leaflets and on the first page of any documents.
- More preferable is LGBTI+ or LGBTIQ since EU documents now regularly reference LGBTI rather than LGBT. There are difficulties in using 'Q' without explanation of both its history as an insult, its reclamation and its current usage to mean non-conforming. Using the 'plus-sign' rather than asterisk is literally more positive than a mere 'asterisk' or 'etc'.
Example of a fully inclusive text:
(3) LGBTIQ+ is an inclusive acronym encompassing all minority sexual and gender identities, as well as atypical biological sex or Intersex. Trans* is inclusive of all transgender persons from transsexuals to transvestites, some of whom may identify as binary male or female, irrespective of biological/body sex and others as outside the binary of just two genders. Q+ includes all other identities including Asexual, Pansexual, Genderqueer, Non-binary, Questioning etc. People whose gender is non-conforming may also identify as a LGB or another minority sexual identity, or they may identify as heterosexual. No disrespect or erasure is intended in not using one of the longer LGBTIQ2SA type initialisms or terms appropriate to different languages and cultures. There is no international agreement on how to extend LGBT to be more inclusive of all Gender and Sexual Diversities.
- To use the above LGBTIQ+ definition just link to www.genderagenda.net/LGBTIQdefinition.htm
- Variants of this may be seen as LGBT*, LGBTI+, LGBTIQetc, LGBTQIA, LGBTTIQQ2SA and alternative attempts to summarise as MSGI (Minority Sexual & Gender Identities), GSD (Gender & Sexual Diversity), SGD (Sex and/or gender diverse).
- Whilst nobody wants to be a +/*/etc, it would be impossible to be fully identity inclusive since the current list of western terminology/identity variations stands at: LGBTIQQ2AAAAAAABCCCCDEFGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHIKLMMMMNNNOOOPPPPPPSSSSTTTTTTUUU
© 2014 www.genderagenda.net
4 Crown Point Drive, Private Rd,
Bixley, Norwich, NR14 8RR, UK
Tel: 0844 808 3699
Fax: 0870 131 3699
Mob: 07808 970429